IMDB, the Internet Movie Database has finally come out with official android application, thus extending itself onto smart phone arena. The application is pretty neat and very simple and intuitive to use. The interface is almost complete and has almost all the features. Following is how the application looks on my HTC Hero.
We covered this story on our Android Blog AndroidHub.
With the launch of Google Voice, many popular VoIP service providers are feeling threatened. Skype has responded with a new promotional offer. Now you can call for a month to various countries on landline numbers free of cost.
The offer gives you option varying from country to country. Different plans have different free minutes forall countries. For example you can make unlimited landline calls to New Zealand for a month or you can call landlines and mobiles in US for a month.
Check out the detailed offer for your country here
With almost all companies developing their apps for each of the platforms including the iPhone, now Microdsoft has officially announced Windows Live Messenger app for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
The software allows users to instant message friends on both Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. You can also receive IM notifications when the app is closed. The App also lets you access your Hotmail account, compose, read and reply to e-mails.
Also this app deals with the social aspect of your requirements from an app. You can view and comment on friends’ photos and status updates from Windows Live, Facebook and MySpace, and see what Messenger friends are sharing on Flickr, YouTube, and a number of other social and photo sharing sites. Also it allows you to embed photos, links, and other content into status messages, and even “style” photos with photo effects that are built-in.
- Chat: Instant Message with Windows Live Messenger and Y! Messenger contacts on the go. You can even receive IM notifications when your app is closed so you never miss a message.
- Social: Windows Live Messenger gives users one place to view updates friends are sharing from social networks like Facebook, Flickr, MySpace and more.
- Photos: Upload photos right from the iPhone. Create albums, add captions, and let friends and family comment on photos.
- Hotmail: Access a hotmail account without leaving the app to read, reply to and compose e-mails. Get e-mail notifications within the application so you know when you have new messages.
It is right now available in the U.S., Canada, U.K., and France in English and French language only. THe current version of the app requires iOS 3.0 and also is compatible with newly launched iOS 4
[via : appleinsider]
Apple has launched a new app called ‘Find my iphone’. As the name suggests this app lets you find your lost iPhone. THe app is free to be downloaded from App Store.
The app is said to work on any idevice once downloaded from app store. So if your iPhone gets stolen or lost, you can locate it using this app installed on your iPad. It requires the user to have a MobileMe account. Is this app that useful ?
It is ,in effect, the same service that you could use when you sign into your Mobileme account on your desktop browser enabling you to see your lost iPhone’s position on map, send a message and alarm sound to the device, lock it or remotely wipe all data if truly lost. Now wit hthis service already there, does ‘Find my app’ offer something more. Not really, apart from the fact that you can now do this operation from any idevice.
You’ll have to keep the ‘push’ setting in MobileMe account switched on which is said to consume a lot of battery.
Another problem is that you have to enter your MobileMe password everytime you launch the app. With users keeping a complex password, it is tough entering the password again and again on iPhone’s keypad.
Well Apple is hopeful that app will be really appreciated by the users. Lets see how the users react to this app.
Find my iPhone [itunes]
One of the cool features of Android is the predictive text features for typing with software keypad. But many times you don’t find the words you want or they add the words you don’t want. Here is a way to edit your phone’s predictive text dictionary.
Although this does not work on all the Android phones, it works on quite a few phones such as Nexus One or Droid. It is said that the featureis hard to find on some phones with HTC Sense UI. The phone should have an area in setting app dedicated your keyboard’s dictionary.
1. Go to Settings > Language and Keyboard > User dictionary. Dictionary is also accessible from the speech-to-text button. Long-press the microphone to get to the Touch Input settings menu. From there, click User Dictionary.
2. Now here you can edit out all the mis-spelt or crap entries while you do not want appearing in your predictive dictionary.
3. You can also add your entries to the list. You can long-press an entry to edit, or click the red X to delete.
One some of the models like Droid Eris which do not have any speech-to-text button, there is a gear icon which will take to same settings with a regular press.
[via : Lifehacker]
Well, its probably the cheapest Android phone that’ll hit the market. HTC recently announced the name of the new handset ( selected via poll on facebook). With this android phone hitting the market in June, the price seems right for the market to lap it up. Although the phone does not offer any feature which hasn’t been seen before, it is a temptation for those wanting android set to go for a cheaper option.
- Class: smartphone
- Form factor: candy bar
- Body materials: plastic, metal
- Operational system: Android 2.1 + HTC Sense User Interface
- Networks: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, EDGE/GPRS, UMTS/HSDPA 900/2100
- Platform: Qualcomm MSM7225-1, 528 МHz processor
- RAM: 384 MB
- ROM: 512 MB + microSD (hot swappable)
- Interfaces: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP), microUSB (USB 2.0) for charging and sync, 3.5 mm headphones jack
- Screen: touch, capacitive, 3.2” 240×320 pixels resolution (QVGA)
- Camera: 5 MPx with Auto Focus and Flash
- Navigation: GPS based on Qualcomm gpsOne chipset (support of A-GPS)
- Additionally: proximity sensor, light sensor, gyroscope, digital compass
- Battery: removable Li-Ion 1300 mAh
A quick look at the basic aspects of the phone :
HTC has used a design similar to its higher end versions. It is quite similar to HTC Desire in terms of design- with similar curves, metal insert and postition of controls. The body colour consists of few shades of grey.
It is light weight and one of the compact android sets available in the market.
As with some of the other HTVC models, Wildfire uses the trackball. It also has sensory buttons just above the trackball similar to Nexus one. As other sets it has the ‘home’, ‘menu’, ‘return’ and ‘search’ buttons.
It uses a 3.2″touch screen with 240×320 (QVGA) resolution. The resolution is probably the weakest point of the phone but on the same hand it might be the reason for the lower price of the phone. It supports multi touch. Although diagonal size is same as Desire or Legend but the display is bigger.
It possesses a Qualcomm MSM7225 528 MHz processor. It has 84 MB of RAM and 512 MB for software installation. Smartphone works in 2G/3G networks, there is Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, built-in light and proximity sensors, digital compass, gyroscope, FM radio.
Well, it a just small look at the phone. It could be better reviewed once the phone is out in the market. But this seems to a phone that might interest a lot of people looking at cheaper android options
[Image source: Mobile-review.com]
With iPad coming into the market, it has opened up slew of iPad apps coming up. Some of the apps are quite basic in nature and provide basic functionality , but some provide really cool features. Below are 3 iPad apps which I believe are quite useful and interesting.
This is a free application by netfilx. This ap allows iPad subscribers to manage their DVD and Watch instantly queues. You can browse through your movies and TV shows along with the search capability. Also you can watch the streaming movies and TV shows directly in your iPad. Also you can start the clip from the place you left watching on your PC or TV.
For all lover of public radio, this app is a must for you. The app is quite useful and is quite similar to the iphone version. It retains most of the options of streaming radio from the iphone version like station finder , playlist, hourly newscasts etc. You can experience NPR in magazine style with content available on Life, Art & Music.
With iPad coming, an app to easily read all the comics is a must. Here is an app which has a really nice interface letting you easily read a comic book on your iPad. It is quite interactive and the content available s quite broad and good. It has a huge library of more than 1,300 comics out of which more than 80 are free of cost.
image source : itunes
There have been many applications coming out each day for Symbian platform. This is one of the application which has been regarded as quite progressive and brought a new dimension to augmented reality. Though it has been long since the release of the application but it continues to update and impress the users.
This application allows you to point the mobile handset’s camera at a landmark or a barcode and receive instant information related to the object. You could receive information such as description, phone numbers, reviews etc. One of the major plus points of the app is that you don’t have to search for information over the net, no typing required. Just point the device’s camera and you get all the information you neeed. It uses real-time image processing and recognition technologies to access information related to books, movies, DVDs and similar media content. It also supports GPS data and text-entry search.
Some of the key features :
- Real-time image recognition of places and barcodes.
- Tag real-life objects to make them interactive.
- Growing database of user-generated and third-party content.
You don’t even have to take a picture, just pointing the camera would get you all the information. Some of the application areas of this app could be :
- Just point the camera at a movie poster and get to see all info about the movie including the trailers.
- Discovering a city was never so easy. Find local landmarks, restaurants, stores, and points-of-interest in our interactive City Guide. Or tag your favorite landmarks and storefronts for others to find by pointing.
- Use the app while shopping by reading the barcodes. Scan barcodes to find comparison prices, read reviews, or save the product to your wishlist.
The app has enormous potential uses and is woth giving a try. It can be downloaded free at Nokia Ovi store
Google has already made significant improvements in its translation service. It is one of the most used and highly rated translation service on the net. With integration with browsers and translation of documents, the service has proved to be really useful for number of users. Google now has added another feather to its cap. It has now come put with an innovative concept of Google goggles.
With this application, you can now translate foreign text that you capture (and crop) with your phone’s camera, potentially helping with signage, papers. It can prove to be really beneficial for travellers travelling to a country of different language.
- Point your phone at a word or phrase. Use the region of interest button to draw a box around specific words
- Press the shutter button
- If Goggles recognizes the text, it will give you the option to translate
- Press the translate button to select the source and destination languages.
The app was already in the market. It can can read English, French, Italian, German and Spanish and can translate to many more languages. The new update has quite a few additions. Goggles v1.1 features improved barcode recognition, a larger corpus of artwork, recognition of many more products and logos, an improved user interface, and the ability to initiate visual searches using images in your phone’s photo gallery.
The translation quality might not be as good as you experience on the online service but if you just need a broad translation to understand the context and basic meaning, goggles would provide good enough results. The app is available for Android phones running at least Android 1.6
There are numerous excercise tracking tools for multiple operating systems along with android. One of the most popular one for android users has been Nike+. A new tool for same puprpose with better capabilities has come up for users using phones for tracking their excercise schedule for tracking and planning times, calories, distances and more.
RunKeeper had already been popular for iPhone , with this android version RunKeeper is now also available to android users. As most of the excercise tracking softwares, it uses GPS to track and plot the walks and runs or biking regimes on a built in Google Map. It also keeps track of the speed of the user along with all other fitness statistics including calorie burnt, and other statistics which are expected from a good training scheduler and tracker.
Some of the important features of the tool are :
- Activity Tracking
- Personal Dashboard
- Maps Integration
- Activity Sharing
- Manual Activity Entry
- Audio Cues
- Training Workouts
- Post Geo-tagged Photos
- IPod Playlist integration
It is a free app for android and iPhone. A must try for android users.
Image source : Lifehacker
In our earlier article we listed the new features of the iPhone OS 4. Apple has paid attention to most of the customer grievances and incorporated features which were most required by the users. But still, could they have incorporate more features ? Have they missed out again on important user demanded features. Here is alook at some of the popular features Apple missed out on again :
- Built in photo editing : One can get 3rd party application for photo editing capabilities on iPhone. It would have been nice to have a built in photo editing application in the iPhone.
- Mass StorageÂ mode : It would have been good if it would have been easier to transfer files from computer to the phone. Drag and drop of files should have been enabled so as to enhance file transfer mechanism rather than using 3rd party app for the same.
- Audio Profile : It would have been really beneficial had they incorporated a number of audio profiles for different environments that one could easily switch between.
- Flash support in Safari : A lot has been said and written about it , and it is unfortunate that it could not have been possible in this new edition of the iPhone OS.
- FM Radio : In many segments of society, it was demanded a lot, but it was quite certain that it was not going to featured in the new OS.
- Wi-Fi Syncing : It would have been useful if one could sync or back up our information on the iPhone over Wi-Fi instead of having to plug in our USB cable.
- Printer Support : It was also wished that iPhone provide some sort of printer support, which would have been helpfulÂ in printing documents, pictures and notes.
- Multiple Notification Bar : Now this is due to comparison with Android, there is a notification area where one can see all recent notifications, like new messages and voice mails. It would have been great to see them on iPhone as well.
We hoped some of these features would be introduced in this new OS but now we can hope for some of them introduced in the next update.
iPad hasn’t been a success as yet but still many units have been sold. As the device is used more , more issues with the device will be revealed. One of the issue that has come to fore is the problem for some users with the Wifi.
Apple is infamous for its products being ingrained with hardware or software problems usually in early stages of the product .Â Normally the problems were seen in the devices of people using jailbroken sets. But this latest Wifi problem has nothing to do with the sets being jailbroken.
The problem being faced by users is that iPad does not automatically rejoin known WiFi networks. Apple has recognized this problem. Apple came out with a statement recognizing theÂ problem :
â€œUnder certain conditions, iPad may not automatically rejoin a known WiFi network after restart or waking from sleep. This can occur with some third-party WiFi routers that are dual-band capable when:
1. Using the same network name for each network
2. Using different security settings for each networkâ€
Apple came out with a solution to the problem. In official words , this is as follows :
â€œIf you encounter this issue, try the following:
Create separate WiFi network names to identify each band. This can be done easily by appending one or more characters to the current network name.
Example: Add a G to the 802.11b/g network name and an N to the 802.11n network name.
Ensure that both networks use the same security type (WEP, WPA, WPA2, and so on).
If the issue persists, reset your network settings using Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.â€
According to the company , this should in most probability solve the problem, but if the problem persists you might want to check out Apple Support Forums for latest development on the issue.